Impacted by the 2020-21 disaster season? Support is available

Home » Recovery support » How to help

How to help

The Australian Government is thankful for the ongoing offers of help to assist in the bushfire recovery response. The continued generosity from individuals, groups, organisations and domestic and global communities has improved the bushfire recovery effort.

Donations and charities

To help services deal effectively and efficiently with the on-ground recovery the Government is asking that donations be in the form of financial assistance only. The response has been so great, coordination services are struggling to manage the volume of goods and materials coming in. 

If you are a registered charity with tax deductible gift recipient (DGR) status working to support bushfire relief and recovery efforts, and do not appear on the list, you should contact Treasury.

How to donate

Please see this list of contact details for charities that are able to accept tax deductible donations and are working to support bushfire relief or recovery efforts.

This list has been provided by the Australian Treasury, Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) and will be progressively updated.

For a donation to be tax deductible it must be made to a deductible gift recipient – an organisation or fund that can receive tax deductible gifts. To check that the charity or DGR is legitimate, you can:

For more information see the ATO’s information about donations to help disaster victims.

Further along in the relief effort charities and support services may indicate that they are in a better position to receive donations of household goods and each organisation will make this known to communities.

Bushfire-affected communities rebuild portal (New South Wales)

NSW Government has established a portal to connect individuals and businesses who can deliver goods and services to bushfire affected communities. The purpose of this portal is to connect buyers with regional suppliers and vice versa.

The portal will assist buyers to give first preference to local suppliers based in affected regions—aiding local economic recovery.

Read more about the rebuild portal on the NSW Government website or call 1800 679 289.

Bushfire recovery scams

There are a range of appeals raising funds for people and animals affected by the bushfires. Unfortunately, some of these are scams. Read more about identifying and reporting scams on our Fraud and scams page.


If you would like to volunteer, please contact the volunteering peak bodies in your area:

State Organisation Phone
ACT Volunteering ACT (02) 6251 4060
NSW The Centre for Volunteering (02) 9261 3600
QLD Volunteering Queensland  (07) 3002 7600
SA and NT Volunteering SA&NT (08) 8221 7177
TAS Volunteering Tasmania (03) 6231 5550
VIC Volunteering Victoria (03) 8327 8500
WA Volunteering WA (08) 9482 4333